15 baby registry essentials

7:03 AM

Since having Bennett, I feel like I'm a baby guru. 
I know I'm exaggerating a little, but I have learned so much and gotten so much wise counsel that I feel like its my civic duty to share the love.

Like, for example, Sunday in Target. I was just minding my own business and noticed a pregnant woman browsing through the nursing bras (with annoyed husband in tow) looking more confused than ever and I got to share my favorite nursing bra with her. (which is not from Target by the way...)

So...I thought...maybe I should share my top 15 things that I would FOR SURE add to my baby registry if I could do it all over again. (other than the obvious things like a crib, sheets, diapers, carseat...)

Because lets face it ladies...unless you've had a kid before, you have no idea what you will need. 
Shoot, when I registered I walked up and down every aisle like a lost puppy trying to figure out whether or not to get paci's that you can stick your finger in, or ones that have cute little sayings on them like "mute button" (as if that were true...nice try...)

So here it goes in no particular order...(I will try to add links where I can)

Listen, any diaper pail that you get is going to smell like you know what. I mean, come on...think about what you're putting inside it. Regardless, I got one that did not require special diaper pail bags, and I don't regret it for a second. It was more expensive on the front end, but I would totally forget to buy those things so mine just requires a regular 'ole trash bag. 

Okay, I have heard a lot of debate about this, but my kid slept in it for the first 6 weeks. A lot of people say that's a bad thing, and I'll admit that it took some adjusting for him to switch to his crib because he was suddenly lie flat, but I wouldn't take it back. If nothing else get this for your sanity. You can put it in the bathroom while you shower, bathe, get ready, cook in the kitchen...a million things. They cannot roll out of it, you can see them, and they can see you. I didn't get one that automatically rocks...mine just vibrates (which I actually didn't ever get a battery for till he was already sleeping in his crib).

I prefer the ones that velcro, but I have heard that the zipper ones are good too. (I think they're called Woombies). Before we went to the hospital we watched the movie "Happiest Baby on the Block" which I also believe is a must see for new parents! It will change your life!! But one of the top recommendations is to swaddle your babies for sleeping or when they are crying. Think about it...that baby is used to being in a small confined area all bundled up and warm. They love it. So we did the whole "DUDU" method (just watch the video and it won't sound so weird) with those cute little muslin swaddles as seen on the video and after about 36349 tries of doing it with a very strong baby busting out every time, I said "to heck with this!" and got smart with the velcro ones. Love them!

I use these on the go and keep one in my diaper bag AT ALL TIMES. I just lay it on top of the really padded diaper pad that came with my diaper bag. Why? Because if they poop on it (which they will), I can toss it as opposed to try and figure out how to wipe off and clean the actual diaper pad that has a crying pooping baby laying on it. I already have to clean the baby, I don't want to have to clean the diaper pad too. I think Babies R Us has their own version of these that are better in price, but I have not used them so I can't say whether they are good or not. 

I can't believe I'm about to say this...and you'll probably think the same thing about me that I thought about the person that told me to do this...but get yourself a backpack diaper bag. Its not cute, I know. But its comfortable and functional. Listen ladies...I got the cute Vera Bradley diaper bag...and while its cute, its not fun to carry when you've also got a kid to carry. (and possibly a purse) If you don't want to go with a backpack, then I definitely recommend something that can have the weight distributed across more of your body than one side. Also, I recommend something that you can get in and out of really quick. You never know when that sweet angel is going to spit up all over everything. 

 I got this plastic one, but you can also get this bag version (which is better for traveling). I still wash everything with soap and water, but after I steam it. I put my bottle parts, pump parts (other than the tubing), and paci's in there. It gives me a piece of mind that everything is really clean. It grosses me out to think that my sweet baby may be eating from a greasy bottle because I didn't wash it good. 

If you get the ones linked above, and you're going to be a working mom or someone who is strictly going to bottle feed, get TWO of the smaller grass racks. The large size is not big enough and two of the smaller size is perfect. Bennett goes through 3 bottles a day while at the sitter, plus I have 2 sets of pump parts on there and it holds it all! If you try to dry your bottles on a towel, they won't dry on the inside. Just get these. I promise its worth it. (I even have the little tree that can go on it to hold bottle nipples)

8. LOTS OF BOTTLES
Best piece of advice I got is the more bottles the better. And I couldn't agree more. Bennett is strictly breast milk so I thought I didn't need bottles, but you do. Even if you are not a "work out of the house" mom and you're just breastfeeding, you still need bottles. You may not need as many, but they are still a must. I had 10 - 4oz bottles and I have 12 - 8 oz. bottles. In hindsight I probably would have just opted for all 8 oz, but I digress.  The set linked above is a GREAT option (I preferred the Dr. Brown brand, but there are other great brands out there) because it comes with both sizes of bottles. I also recommend registering for the level 2 nipples because your baby will switch to level 2 around 3 months, and it'll be here before you know it.
Why do I have/suggest so many? Because I have found that my least favorite chore on the planet is washing bottles. Does it only take 10 minutes? Sure. But its so tedious and the last thing I want to do at the end of the day when I could be spending time with my sweet baby. So get you lots of bottles ladies so you don't have the pressure of washing them each night if you don't have time.
Side note about bottles: I don't believe that you need those fancy bottle warmers. If you want one, get one for the car, but one for the house is not necessary. If your baby is breastfeed you cannot microwave breast milk because the nutrients will no longer be in the breast milk, so what I do is put a little water in a coffee cup and heat the water for about a minute and  a half. Then put the cold bottle in the coffee cup of water and let it sit for a bit till the milk is warm enough. Voila! A free bottle warmer.   

9. BREAST PUMP BRA
I think some pumps come with one, but mine didn't (Medela pump in style advance)...doesn't really matter what brand bra you get, but I love the one I have. This makes pumping remotely close to being bearable.  You can move around hands free and still do things that you need to do. The other thing about pumping is for best results, your body needs to be super relaxed so if you can do that by not holding them to you, you will be more successful.

10. NIPPLE BALM
While we are on the subject...your nipples will thank you if you get the Boobease nipple balm linked above. Listen ladies...I HATED lanolin cream. I know everyone talks about how amazing it is... blah blah blah. But I felt like it dried them out way worse than before. Then I found this stuff, I felt like the doctors on "Botched" just fixed me. I had no more cracking, or sore nipples.
#you'rewelcome

11. HIGH CHAIR
If you're like me you're thinking, high chair? They don't sit in one for like 5 or 6 months, why would I get that now? Ummm..because when they're 5 or 6 months and they need one then you're probably out of (or almost out of) diapers that have been given to you also. So you're now spending money on diapers and then you will need to spend $100+ on a high chair too? No thanks. I would rather have someone else get it for me and keep it in the closet till I need it. :)

12. EXERSAUCER
Again, won't need it for several months, but its not something you want to have to spend your own money on. Now, this is not a necessity for your baby to live but I have that it is a necessity for my own sanity. I wish I would have gotten one like the one linked above, but oh well. The one I have doesn't allow for as much jumping which I think Bennett would like more, but anything that they can sit in and be entertained for a little while by is worth it. Some of the exersaucers that you can find around over $100...I would say that's not necessary considering babies are entertained by empty water bottles. So just get one that's colorful, will fit in the space you have, and if it can light up then that's a cherry on top.

13. NOSE FRIEDA
This is the most odd thing ever, but it works wonders. Nathan won't do it because the thought of literally sucking out Bennett's snot grosses him out, but like I keep telling him...why would I do it if I got a mouth full of snot? No snot ever reaches your mouth. Ever. It works SO much better than those little balloon suckers they give you at the hospital. Get some extra little blue foam filters for it too.

14. DR. SMITH'S DIAPER RASH CREAM
Target has a spray version but I have never tried it so I don't know how well it works. The cream works amazing though! Bennett has fairly sensitive skin and it doesn't bother him. I have tried AD, Desitin, and Boudreaux's, but none of those take a diaper rash away like this one. If I put it on before bed, the rash is usually gone by the next morning.

15. HUMIDIFIER
If you're not loving the one linked above, just make sure the one you get is a "cool mist" one. If you live in the south with lots of humidity, you may not need this till winter time. But if you're like me and your south doesn't have much humidity, then I definitely recommend this. Keeps moisture in the air so that sweet baby's nose can stay clear and they can breathe good. AND it helps keep their skin from getting dry.

BONUS ITEM: CLOVE ESSENTIAL OIL
Clove oil naturally helps with gum health and discomfort. I mix one drop with some organic coconut oil (about the size of your point finger nail) and rub it on the top and bottom gums. Helps tremendously with those little teeth trying to come through.

Okay, hopefully I didn't completely overwhelm you. I feel like there is a lot more I could say, but I'll leave it at this.

If you have any questions over any of my other favorite products please let me know in the comments! I'd love to help you!

#we'reallinthistogether

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Everyone laughs at us for using the Nose Frieda but it was the only thing that worked on Jackson's poor little nose. Good lust!!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images