engagement anniversary

11:28 AM

Five years ago today my wonderful husband surprised me & proposed! It was the best day (just behind the wedding). Thought I'd share our engagement story.

It was my half birthday (yes, that is a real thing that I like to celebrate when possible) & I told all my friends that I wanted to go to dinner for my half birthday. When we got together for dinner we would usually go to a casual Mexican food restaurant, but I decided I wanted to go to a fancy restaurant & get dressed up (your welcome everyone for making this really easy for you to plan!). Nathan told me that he would just have to meet us at the restaurant after work, so my best friend/sister Alison said that she would come pick me up. Well, she was 30 minutes late & I was mad because I was so hungry! Then when she got there she gave me a picture of me & Nathan that said "laughter" on the frame & she said "happy half birthday!" I thought, "okay well that's pretty weird that she gave me a picture of me & Nathan, but okay..." The card that came with the frame said this:

She told me when we got in the car to head to the restaurant that we needed to stop by her apartment so she could grab her sweater. (ummm...it was June. In Houston, Texas...not exactly sweater weather) I went with it. Naturally I had to go up to her apartment with her so I didn't suffocate in her car when she took her keys to unlock the door. When we walked in she told me that she was going to freshen up & she told me "Happy half birthday! Put the puzzle together on my table!" Okay? So I put the puzzle together...
After we left her apartment, we went to get our friends Mike & Courtney. At this point I am starving, & things are feeling really fishy. (I knew that if it was a proposal then my best friend Chey would be somewhere.) When we got to Mike & Courtney's, Mike handed me 2 cards & said "happy half birthday!" Here is what the cards said...

When we got in the car to head out from Mike & Courtney's, Mike (youth pastor at our church in Houston) said that there was a Memorial Service at the church that afternoon & he needed us to stop by the church so he could make sure all the lights were turned off. Seriously?? So we stopped by the church & went inside. As I turned the corner into the foyer, Chey came around the corner! I screamed! She said "well, I have your last card"...

 


She then said "I have one more stop for you..." & they opened the doors to the sanctuary & there were rose petals & candles everywhere & Nathan was standing at the end of the aisle. I walked down & he proposed with the sweetest proposal! After we took many pictures at the sanctuary, I very politely (HA!) asked if we were ever really going to dinner because I was starving! We did go, but they surprised me again & had our families & some friends all meet at the restaurant.

http://instagram.com/slewis2010

I loved every second of that day & I am so BEYOND thankful for all involved in making it so so special! Happy five years of engagement, Nathan!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images