where there's a will, there's a way...

6:57 PM

Or so my mom says…


Many have asked in my last [almost] 4 years of marriage how Nathan & I met. To which I reply, “well, how much time do you have?” 
If you have heard even a piece of our story then you know its not a short one.

But none the less, I thought I would share the basic idea.

Nathan & I grew up at the same church in Houston, TX. My family started attending when I was in 6th grade, & his dad was our senior pastor. In March 2004 my youth group started a tradition to go to Cofradia, Mexico for Spring Break for a mission trip. That’s why I started to go every year. Nathan tagged along March 2005. The only thing was, he wasn’t in the youth group anymore. That’s right…I was 16 & he was 21. [this is where you can gasp.] 

It was on Nathan’s first trip in 2005 that I realized how much I liked this guy. Maybe part of it at the time was that he was in college and would be interested in a little ole me. But regardless of the reasons, he liked me too. Looked like my dreams were coming true! We talked on & off that year until the next year in 2006 when we both went back to Mexico. That just grew my love even more. He said that he liked me & felt the same, but he was dating a girl at the time who was “holding him back”. [that’s what they all say…] The truth is that it was not a healthy situation. It was in no way good for either of us. I was lying to my parents & friends about Nathan and he was lying to his girlfriend about me. Again I repeat, not good. & my parents definitely didn’t approve. 

Despite that, we still continued to talk. He still continued to make me feel like he liked me when all he liked was that I was a challenge. I can remember once that he was telling me that I had all these qualities that he was looking for in a wife, & the next time I saw him he was engaged to his girlfriend. Heart broken doesn’t even begin to describe it. 

I went off to college in 2007. He ended up breaking off the engagement sometime during my freshman year. When I came home for the summer between my freshman year in college and my sophomore year, I gave him an ultimatum. I said he had till the end of the summer to decide if he really thought that our relationship [whatever that meant] was something that he could see happening long term or if it was just for fun. Unless the answer was long term, I would be done talking to him. The last day of summer, he told me that he was scared of long distance but that he wanted it to work with us. That I was worth the long distance for. [this is where you can say “awww…”] He called me the next day & told me that he thinks he has actually loved me for a long time, but he was too afraid to admit it to himself. 

We started dating [for real this time] & it was amazing! He treated me so different. Our conversations had meaning. He made efforts to come see me at school [5 hours away from Houston]. Our family & friends were so happy for us [the most shocking were my parents who admitted that before it was just terrible timing of age differences]. We were both growing as people in Christ. 

The Christmas after we started dating, I got to come home for a month & see him almost every day. It was the best time of my life. Our families had dinner together & just got to know each other on a personal level. While I was home my parents asked when we were going to get married. I said “when I graduate I guess.” They asked why. I told them because I didn’t want to pay for my school. They told me that they would not make me start paying for school because I decide to get married before graduation. I shared that news with Nathan & we got totally excited! I went back to school totally heartbroken because I realized how much long distance was not what I wanted to do. I decided a short time later to transfer to University of Houston to finish out my degree. We dated long distance my entire sophomore year and then I moved back to my parents to go to UofH. Nathan proposed that next month [June 5, 2009…my half birthday!] We got married May 21, 2010. It was the absolute best day of my life. I thank God for Nathan everyday. I do not know what I would do without him. Or the family that I married into. 

Is it a crazy story? Yes.

I have told you half of it? Nope.

Do I recommend to date someone almost 5 years older than you when you’re at an illegal age? Heck no.

But I guess like Queen said…its a crazy little thing called love.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images