how to : make the most of your day

1:14 PM

I like to think that I'm a pretty productive person. 
Especially if I get going on a roll. There is no stopping me. 
When I worked at the University (aka office job) my coworkers used to ask me how I stayed above water and I would just tell them that I guess I am productive.
I thought I would share some things that help me make the most of my day by being productive.

{1} Make a to do list.
I am sure this is the first one on everyone's list {pun intended} of essential productivity items. But mine is probably a little different from them...I make two lists. The first one is a "master list" of everything that I want to get done. I then take that list in its entirety and decide what needs to be done first. I put my first priority on a post it and when I complete that one thing, I throw the post it away and mark it off my "master list". The next important item goes on a post it to get done and so on. I do this because I found I was getting overwhelmed by looking at this big long list of items that I know all need to get done. I also started wasting utilizing the post it method because if I went off my long list, I would look at it in the middle of trying to finish something and start on something else. And before I knew it I was working on 4 things from my list all at the same time.

{2} Play music or don't play music, that is the question.
 Some people work really well with music playing in the background and some people do not work well in that situation. You need to figure out which category you stand in and stick with it. I work best with music playing. And specifically, fast paced music. Doesn't really matter what genre. I also have to have it at a louder volume. Not like I'm at a rock concert or anything, but definitely louder than you'd sing a baby to sleep. 

{3} Set a goal/reward for accomplishment.
I started doing this back in college and my friends kind of made fun of me a little bit but then they all started doing it too. I sort of blame my parents for this...they called it the reward system {aka bribery} but it works. As I would give myself something to accomplish in college {writing a paper, studying, etc} I would set a goal for myself and then give myself a little reward. It would often be a study break so I would take time to watch a quick episode of FRIENDS {or surf social media}. If it was a long task then I would reward myself with an ice cream cone at Sonic. Something like that. Just remember if you are working on a long list of tasks, or if you are needing to continue studying or writing a paper, that your goal needs to be something with an end. Don't get sucked into a Netflix marathon if you still have a lot to accomplish. Set a timer and give yourself a quick 10 minutes on Pinterest {or blog surfing} and move onto the next thing that needs to get done. For me, if I know that there is something to look forward to at a certain time, then its easier for me to stay on task and be productive.

{4} DND
Put your phone/texts/email on Do Not Disturb until you allow yourself the accomplishment break. The second that phone or email goes off, that gives you a split second of curiosity if you should answer it and then you get sucked into the vortex of distraction. I personally have an iPhone and the thing I like about DND on the iPhone (I am not sure if it works this way on any other kind of phone) you can still receive phone calls from anyone on your "favorites" list OR if someone not on your favorites calls twice in 3 minutes then the call goes through. My theory is if its an emergency, they'll call. Otherwise, it can wait till my break.

{5} Girl, you better recognize!
Let me preface this last thing with: DO NOT LET THIS HAPPEN ALL THE TIME! If unproductiveness (is that even a word?! lol) is happening all the time then you might need to reevaluate your sleep schedule, eating schedule, exercise schedule...there are a lot of different things that play into our energy levels.
But girl, you better recognize when you are not having a productive day and why. Are you distracted by something else? Are you unmotivated and what is making you unmotivated? Maybe you're just flat out tired and need a "mental health day"?
You need rest. That includes your body and your mind. If you are spreading yourself too thin then you will not function as well. So take some time to refuel. But you need to be able to recognize what your signs of emptiness are, and you need to know what refuels you.

If you are in a small business (or looking to start a small business), you should check out Kabbage. They help small businesses get small business loans, as well as motivate productivity in the work place. They have some other suggestions for productivity in the work place. You can check them out HERE.

What helps you with productivity??

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images